Setting goals is one thing, but actually reaching them is another matter. Try the following tips for making your career “must haves” happen.
5 ways to attain your must have goals :
- Check your progress regularly – Decide how and with whom you will assess your progress, such as with a friend or colleague at the beginning of each month. Or make a note in your calendar when and how you will hold yourself accountable.
- Take action to eliminate barriers – Sometimes your plan will reach an impasse, often, you might get a new project or work assignment that consumes all of your time. Whatever the situation, identify the obstacles and then find ways to overcome them.
- Change your methods of attaining your goals – Your schedule can change over time so be flexible in the methods you use to reach your goals.
- Have a backup plan – Create at least one backup plan – or even two or three – to obtain your “must haves” if your first plan fails.
- Reward yourself and celebrate – When you achieve another goal or complete another step,pat yourself on the back. Take yourself out to dinner or buy yourself flowers- whatever it takes. The aim is to have fun and praise yourself for a job well done!