This is the skillset that you will need, the skillset of a 21st century creative, accurate thinker strategist, in order to lead your organization to find the hidden wealth and greatness in your organization. Take a few moments to review each one of these requirements and ask yourself the key question: Am I what is needed to succeed in turbulent times? The answer will tell you if your organization is headed to the path of success…or destruction, and what immediate action you need to take!
The Skillset Every Leader Requires
- First and foremost, see the true reality. Understand where the business is today, why it is or is not making money, and what his strengths and weaknesses are.
- Develop the foresight to spot trends that can become opportunities or threats.
- Understand the internal and external, connected ecosystem in which the business is situated – in order to identify areas of leverage and opportunity that your competitors are missing.
- Create a business backbone – where to play and where not play – that lets you play to win – strategically selecting the customers and markets you want to be in, and which you do not.
- Define value from your customer’s perspective – what they need today and what they will want tomorrow.
- Create a unique business model and singular strategy for delivering value to your customer – and capturing wealth.
- Deliver a continuous stream of innovative products within that business model and singular strategy.
- Position your sales and marketing people to thrive in a dynamic, changing marketplace.
- Get your people and processes aligned so the organization can respond quickly in response to new developments.
- And finally, wean yourself away from arrogance, and learn to manage more collaboratively. Why? Because, if you are going to succeed in implementing any of these other skills, you need to learn how to harvest the collective knowledge in your organization and leverage it – so you can be confident that your strategies are correct and accurate.
How did you rate yourself on the checklist?
Do you have the skills for 21st century leadership? There are so many new skills, strategies, and ways of thinking! But in turbulent times, you must adapt in order to survive. Work smarter, work differently, and work in breakthrough ways.